May 15, 2011

Welcoming wolves from MISSION: WOLF

If you can ever work with this organization, Mission: Wolf- Education vs Extinction, JUMP ON IT. They were amazing, the best assembly I ever had the honor to attend. Here is an article from the Forks Forum. Also, there are some gorgeous pictures from Invisible History of the lupine ambassadors, who are related to the real stars in that book/movie series. I linked more of these pictures throughout this post.

Kent Weber first talked to us about the difference between wolves and dogs and about his non-profit wildlife refuge. He is a great speaker, and I was shocked when I realized he had been talking for 45 minutes.

Mr. Weber said that the wolves would walk around the circle to sniff us all, and they would lick some people that they liked. He explained that when the wolves get in your face and lick you, this is friendly, and you can return the gesture by looking them straight in the eyes, baring your teeth, and scratching their chest. Don't lean back because they'll just keep leaning into you; he told us one lady wound up leaning backwards almost horizontal with the wolf then on top of her. I only got licked once, and I couldn't help but get freaked out. I thought I was brave when the wolves walked towards me, like the kids; but unlike the kids, I froze when the wolves sniffed my face and completely forgot everything I was supposed to do.

CC, on the other hand, was able to retain her composure, keep her eyes open, and show her teeth. Not as easy as it sounds when you're looking into the jaws of a wild (smelly) wolf! Even when the wolves were right in her face, she was able to recall and perform the little gestures that the trainer told us would communicate "Hey, how YOU doin?" to the wolves. Pretty impressive, CC, although I was not jealous for wolf saliva in my mouth. Clint got a good dose though. 

Thomas also did it right. Notice how he extends his arm and keeps it low, as "Wolves prefer to be touched underneath as opposed to over the top of their head, as that is a dominating posture."  The Invisible History blog has amazing pictures: here, here, here, here, here, and here.

The school then attempted to meet the wolves with regalia and song. The wolves were freaked out by the singing, but one finally did approach when the drumming and singing decreased in volume. It was amazing, and I was not the only one who teared up. Look at this beautiful picture. I love the last picture at the bottom here when the wolf got really close to the boys. Again, it is NOT easy to stare down a wolf.





















No comments:

Post a Comment